lundi 18 février 2013

I have a friend in you...




Consider this letter from Claire: “I am a really popular girl at school, Holly. But Holly, I do not have any real friends, like you the ones you have with Tundra, Empy, Lexy, and Euphemia. Tundra always listens to you because he really cares about you and is your true friend. You and Tundra have shown me how to be a real friend . . . to listen. I’m going to try to be a better friend to everyone.”




Today I spent the afternoon with a friend I hadn't seen in six months. We had had conversations on the phone a couple times, and exchanged some text messages. But it's nothing like communicating for real. I realised how much I had missed out on her life, how she had gone through times she could have used a little support from me, and I wasn't there. And she had missed out on my life, too. Nevertheless, I think the meaning of true friendship is realising that even though you haven't been there for a friend in some time, they forgive you and you pick up your friendship where you had left it. I do regret that I didn't see her for such a long time and wasn't there to help her when she was undergoing hard times, and I promised myself not to let that happen again. I think Holly's friends are as true and sincere as to never let her down, and follow her anywhere she will go to find her destiny. Take Tundra for example, the great white wolf. Genuine, kind-hearted and courageous. We know Tundra will never let Holly down, and will protect her forever. Even when she grows up, marries and has children, we have a sense Tundra will always be there when Holly is in need of a friend.





Here is what author Brittney Ryan says about Holly Claus and friendship: 

What we adults can’t know about is what it’s like to be a child today and what it’s like to have a friend today. We don’t really understand the coded messages on their text messages, we don’t know the fear of bullies who band together and threaten their safety, and we don’t know what it’s like to have “friends” on Facebook and realize that maybe they aren’t real friends after all. That’s because we are adults today . . . and times are, indeed, different. We don’t see the world the way children see it. But Princess Holly does—she sees things in a kind of universal time, time that seems to exist in exactly every child’s moment. And through her, young readers can learn to treat each other lovingly.
























 


Through Holly, you can understand the true meaning
of friendship, and find support and understanding 
when you feel left alone. I hope my message has inspired you to be good to others and yourself today, and forever. 





Amelia. 











What is friendship to you ?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire